Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Reflection 11

This last week my group had the opportunity to teach a sixth grade class at an elementary school. I learned a lot from this experience as we both prepared our lesson plan and taught the students.

Something that made me think about how I’m going to handle some of my students as a teacher: There was this little girl that would say the sassiest remarks to me! She could be quite the brat, I’ll be honest! It also made me laugh because at one point when she was being sassy towards me, my professor Geoff just walked in. In seeing how she was, he responded to me, “Now you know how I feel!”. This made me smile because this made me think of the times us students in our class have given him a hard time. But at the same time, Geoff most definitely asks for it sometimes too. Anyways, this little encounter with this student made me think about how I’m going to deal with sass from students. I am going to have to figure out what is the best way to deal with that because it is most definitely something I will have to deal with in high school. Being a teacher, there is so much more than knowing how and what to teach. You have to know what is the best way to handle certain situations with your students.

Overall, I really enjoyed teaching at the elementary school. It was very rewarding and has made me even more excited to be a teacher. People always talk about how rewarding teaching is and this experience most definitely proved that. It felt good to teach these children and see their progress as they learned our material. I think I will really enjoy being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment